Friday, November 28, 2008

Yes We Can part 2

I know, I know, I've been a terrible blogger!! Over three weeks and no new posts. Who would have thought I'd have so many fans clamoring for new info from me?? Okay, it's mostly my Mom who keeps asking when I'm going to put up a new post, but she counts right??

You may have noticed I was a bit excited about the Presidential election results. Just counting down the days till January 20th! I voted for Barack Obama and this is the first time ever that the person I voted for was elected. Do I agree with every single one of Obama's policies, positions, and statements? Heck no! But I do strongly believe he was the much better choice for this country. And to see him elected made me incredibly proud to be an American, something that I have not felt much in the last decade or so.

I have heard so many people echo that very statement, that this moment, this election made them so proud. And I've thought a lot about what that visceral feeling really translated to. For me, it is this: that we as Americans had the courage to reject the policy of fear that has been ruling this country for the past 8 years. Fear that may have been justified at the outset, immediately following the terrible day of September 11th, but which was then manipulated and used to the advantage of an administration hungry for power and control. We bought into that fear and turned a blind eye to the eroding of our civil liberties. We allowed ourselves to fear each other, our neighbors, people who looked different, talked different, had a different religion. And are these the people who have brought our country to it's economic knees? No, it has been our own poor individual decision-making, exploited by the leaders of a greedy, reckless financial system. Not exactly what we were encouraged to fear.

So if you're still reading this, kudos to you, especially if you don't agree with me. Maybe the catchphrases of "Change" and "Yes we can" are cheesy and naive. I don't care. People need hope, and hope is the very opposite of fear. Obama is not my Personal Lord and Saviour, no one is expecting him to work miracles. Okay, nobody who is sane. But he has made me care about this country when I didn't think I could stomach caring anymore. And I believe that a nation of people who are engaged, aware, and opinionated is much better than a nation in fear.

Oh yeah, and we've got Michael Phelps too.

3 comments:

robin said...

love that M. Phelps!!! :) What a great way to end your post!!!

Mara Campbell said...

What were you talking about? All I can think about is Michael Phelps abs...

Mara Campbell said...

BTW I just nominated you for a blog award! Go check out my blog for details. :-)